Friday, September 4, 2009

A declaration of Purpose

Well, it's not much to look at but here it is, the only AD&D 2nd edition blog that I know about. I guess I should start by introducing myself. I'm a 24 year old male currently in the USA. I've been playing pen and paper RPGs since I was 5(my first three books were the 2nd Edition DMG, Oriental Adventures, and the first edition of Shadowrun rulebook). Needless to say, RPGs have been a big part of my life, and I can't imagine what things would be like without them. I've recently returned to playing 2nd edition after a 3.5e/World of Warcraft burnout. I didn't feel like switching to Pathfinder, traditional 3.x is too high fantasy for me, and I got fed up with Warcraft about a month after the Secrets of Ulduar patch was released(the group I raided with went into Ulduar a handful of times, then I was more or less dropped by the wayside for other guild members). It just wasn't fun anymore to me. With the upcoming release of the new expansion, it doesn't look like I'll be going back anytime soon. About June of 2008, I began to look back at my gaming past, I remembered all the cool settings; Birthright, Dark Sun, and Planescape. At first, I tried to update most of the settings, primarily to the Iron Heroes 3.5e variant, but I always got stuck on one thing or another, as the result would never carry the feel of the game I had played back in High School. After thinking about it for some time, I realized that ultimately, with 4th edition coming out, it was perhaps time to go back to the edition I'd played with for so many years. I'm not saying 2e is perfect, but imo at least, the imbalance in some of the rules is part of the draw for me. I happen to enjoy tinkering with the game system, crafting it into whatever suits my fancy at the time. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the blog, and I'll have an actual content post up shortly.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, nice place you got here. I got you bookmatked - no escape now!

    -DM Glen aka SmokestackJones

    Save or Die! and THAC0's Hammer Podcasts

    ReplyDelete